Railway Museum Ride 10th Sept 2026
We ride right past this museum at least once or twice every year, I thought it was time we stopped and took a look through it. Our start point was Maccas Narellan and we had 5 riders in our group.
The direct route from Narellan to Thirlmere takes only 30 minutes, so I planned out a longer ride that followed, more or less, a figure eight. We don't normally travel through this area so it was good to ride some roads most of us hadn't seen before. After leaving Maccas we headed north up Narellan Rd turning left onto Cobbitty Rd, then left at Silverdale Rd. We tracked through The Oaks and Oakdale and into Picton (spotting the only gendarme for the day!!) and from there travelled south towards Tahmoor stopping at Bargo Sportsground for morning tea.
After morning tea I was having trouble getting my new nav device (Chigee) to connect to my phone (for Android Auto), testing Rod's patience to the point that he was dropping his clutch in the gravel and spraying dirt. I think I have a clue why Rod is having so much trouble with his new BMW'(s)!! 🙂
Anyways we then headed off in a southerly direction, which confused everyone, towards Colo Vale. It was then, at a spirited pace, through Hilltop, Balmoral, Buxton and into Thirlmere and the NSW Rail Museum for lunch. We ate at the tables inside the Museum and afterwards had a look through the various train and railway displays that make up the museum. There really are some interesting things to check out, like the Royal carriage that hosted the Queens visit to Australia in 1954, a prison van that was used to transport, you've got it, criminals, around the countryside, and a mail van, that was used to sort the mail "on the go". There were also many other historic trains to look at, for those interested!! I thought it was very worthwhile to visit.
After that we split into a couple of groups and headed back home, I was walking the dog by 3.30pm!! It wasn't a long day but I enjoyed it and thanks to those that joined me for the day!!
Cheers, Kim
Comments